Sunday, August 19, 2012

water


Water

Likes animals
Likes trees
Grew up by a river

Water,

They are my friends,
They are my life,
They are my reason for breathing,
They are my reason for being,
Without them,
I would not be whole,
Without them,
I would not smile,
Without them,
You wouldn’t hear my cheery songs,
You wouldn’t see my eyes sparkle,
You wouldn’t see me jump,
You would just see me,
My head bowed low,
My feet dragging behind,
My voice,
Fading off into that distance,
Where they were,
Where they are,
In the confines of history.

Like me,
Its firmly rooted in the ground,
Like me,
It spreads its canopy,
To shelter,
Everybody who seeks it,
Keeping them dry,
Like me,
It gives up a part of itself
To keep others warm,
On those cold rainy days,
Like me,
Its tall,
Like me,
Its beautiful,
Like me,
Birds sing,
When its near,
Like me,
It remains,
Proud,
Yet humble
Feeding off the ground,
Yet proud,
Reaching for the skies.

It runs through my hood,
Long and blue,
Giving life to those near it,
Giving pleasure to those
Who seek it,
It runs through my hood,
Passing on a long journey,
Starting in the snow,
In the mountains,
Melting,
Starting that force,
With a trickle,
Growing to a deluge,
Collecting,
Gathering more,
Growing stronger by the inch,
Growing stronger by the foot,
Yet, gracefully passing by hood
On its way to the sea,
Spewing out at its mouth,
Feeding the hungry,
And providing refuge,
To those,
Who after a long trip,
Need a rest,
It runs through my hood,
Bridges cross it,
People try to divert it,
But it can never be stopped,
And, when I return home,
I give it a passing glance,
Reminded,
That this is,
This is where I belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment