THE LAST SLICE OF CHOCOLATE CAKE
I hear those words repeating themselves over and over again. “You’re a failure Son, Boy get outta here before you shame our family any more”
It was with hearing those words I had packed my bags and relunctly walked down our drive, out the gate, stuck out my thumb and shuffled my feet towards an unknown destination.
My head watching nothing but the stones I stepped on, step by step, daring not to look up in case I stared into the eyes of another and they saw my tormented soul.
Cars racing past, splish splash were the sounds of the puddles engrossing me from every sound made. A gale was rushing past me, trying to hold me back. The rain, thrashing my body. It was as if someone or something was trying to prevent me from continuing on my journey.
I could not go back, I would not go back. Not ever, not to see the glee of satisfaction in the old mans face, to hear him smut once again “I told you so boy, a nothing, a nobody, and will always be, ha ha ha”. Yeah well this time mate, I’m going to prove to you and the whole God damn world who I am, a man of integrity, not the idiot you portray me to be. And so on I had trekked.
Five hours and two rides later I was there, or was I? Sitting outside a pub in some far-off town I was desperate, I was lost. Pondering what had become of me.
I had had it all, a great job where I was appreciated and respected. It was a job where I had free will and could get up to my own devices without the fear of a boss laying down the law. We had been more like friends, we’ld sit down at night after milking watching the rugga and quietly sipping down a few beers. Discussing the days events and how tomorrow would eventuate. Meanwhile his wife would be putting on a roast or a stew, enough to full a hay gangs bellies twice over. Yes life was good back then.
And once a week, every Sunday, straight after morning milking, off to church it would be and a good talk with all the local farmers never went a miss.
But life was not as it seemed, behind the scenes in that mysterious under world I was doing things the boss would have never dreamt about, let alone heard of.
My life had become so full of lies and deceit I knew not what the truth was. For every question I had an answer and every answer was questionable.
Finally it all came to a head, I stood there looking deep into the mirror watching blood trickle from my cheek, a hand shaking my body trembling. I watched in horror, time seemed to stand still. The razor had slid from my reaches and bounced along the floor. I hated that man looking back at me, I despised him. Why had I been cursed with his disgusting looks and terrible fortune? I wanted to die, but didn’t know how, too gutless too weak. But somewhere, somehow there was a voice a tiny one at that, whispering to me “come on man, there has to be something better than this, there just has to be. Give it one more chance, go on, don’t end it like this when there’s so much more to live for.”
At that I knew I was ready, but for what? I came through that invisible wall that had held contained me for so long and laid it all on the floor before his face. “It was I, my father, who had committed that most heavenly sin and had eaten that last slice of Chocolate cake. The temptation was too much to bear and I devoured every last crumb like the pig I am.”
And at that he said those famous last words, “You’re a failure Son, boy get outta here before you shame our family anymore.”
And do you know what? It was worth it, because that cake was delicious!!!
random writing lol
ReplyDelete